Enjoy a hot drink that celebrates the flavours of autumn. Sweet potato and pumpkin both contain vitamins A and C; quality cocoa in moderation has antioxicant properties; spices like cinnamon and ginger have anti-inflammatory properties. Use any kind of milk that you wish.
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk of your choice
- 1 cup cooked and pureed sweet potato (pumpkin puree also works well)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder (dutch process)
- 2-4 tbsp honey or to taste
- 1⁄4 salt or to taste
- 1⁄4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch powdered ginger
- pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 homemade marshmallows for serving
- Gently heat milk over medium heat in a large sauce pan.
- Meanwhile, combine puree, cocoa powder and spices and stir until well blended. Use cayenne pepper if you would like your drink spicy.
- Add spiced puree mixture and honey to warm milk, stirring with a wisk, heating through.
- Pour into mugs and top with a little whipped cream or a homemade marshmallow. Serve immediately.
- Coffee/Latte Variation: Using the above recipe omit the cocoa powder and 1 cup of the milk, and add 1 cup of fresh brewed coffee to enjoy a healthier version of the popular pumpkin spice latte.
- To prepare ahead: If you want to have this special drink ready to go for later, simply combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor, blend until well combined, and store in a covered mason jar in the fridge. (Use mixture within 2 days.) Then just heat and serve for a relaxing, healthful treat!